Monday, June 22, 2009





One’s health should be Nonnegotiable, yet we make excuses for why we eat badly, why we have not exercised, why, why, why. Too many excuses!
The set of rules I have for my life, my marriage, relationships, work, is not negotiable, so, why do I allow my health to be? A very good male friend once told me “you are given one body, you have to live in it your whole life, and how you take care of it now is how it will take care of you later.” If you are ashamed of your body, why did you treat it that way?”
This was many years ago when I was much younger and actually in pretty good shape. Although I didn’t think it then. I don’t want to enter my 40’s the same way I entered my 20’s and 30’s, with self doubt, bad body image and very unhealthy habits as well as unhealthy thoughts. I am a person that needs structure and a good plan and I can execute that in all aspects of my life except this one. I am determined and don’t easily give up, and I refuse from here on out to constantly negotiate with myself on my health. I have come to the conclusion (late in the game) that this is a relationship and I need to treat it and myself the same way I do all aspects of my life. My weight and health both mind and body is no longer up for negotiation.
I am sick of the cycle, the justifications, feeling uncomfortable and scared of all the risks associated with an unhealthy and/or overweight lifestyle.

2 comments:

Medical Librarian said...

I so appreciate this post! I hadn't really thought about having a relationship with my body before, and what you say makes absolute sense. I do have rules about *everything* important in my life, and it's not like marriage, etc. is any easier than getting into reasonable health.

I think you have provided a new attitude on health for me!! Thank you.

The Certifiable Dieter said...

That was my latest eye opening moment. When I sat and thought about the things in my life that are nonnegotiable, I couldn't believe that I let my health be one I let go and didn't have a strong guideline or rules for. It made no sense, now it does. I am hoping that with this small wake up thought, I get better at what I am doing. Thanks for the comment.