Monday, December 14, 2009



I feel fairly confident that this time of year our metabolism simply stops. They just don't work...you can exercise and eat a lot of flax oatmeal and not lose a pound, just because it is the holiday season. What else could it be? I will admit we had a couple below zero days and I was so not in the mood to walk three miles so I only did one or one in a half. My bones were chilled, my face numb and my lips frozen quiet, it seemed only natural that I walk fast but less and reward myself we a white hot cocoa for getting the deed done. I am also completely aware that the cocoa had more calories than the walk burned, but in my head it all worked itself out just fine...until I weighed in. I didn't lose or gain and also wasn't expecting a loss. Disciplined or not-when it is that cold out it is all about comfort food and staying cozy. This week should pose a nice challenge with the truffle, spritz and other cookie and fudge making endeavors going on. I have stalked up on protein powder, steel cut flax oatmeal and other boring foods that should fill me up and stop the cookie dough eating and cookie baked sampling, or keep it to a minimum. It looks like it may be a nice week filled with 40's and a couple days of 50, so no reason now to haul on my walks. No schlepping for me this week, or so I tell myself now.
My goal is to evade the cookies, walk more, get my daily protein and by the grace of all things holy not gain any weight. I wondered if my neighbor's and friend's would notice if I just bought all these goodies, plopped them on a fancy plate and called it a day. I am guessing they would as would my husband who looks forward to his cookies every year. Not one of these people is watching their weight, how is this even fair? With grumpy determination I will move forward, with fingers crossed I will make it to next Monday without looking like Humpty Dumpty or feeling like him anyway.

2 comments:

Medical Librarian said...

You know how they say your blood pressure can go up just from smelling certain food scents? I think you can actually gain weight just from certain scents!!!!

And I don't think the holiday stress helps with losing (or maintaining) weight, either.

The Certifiable Dieter said...

I agree completly. I am also sure that I gained weight today at the grocery store buying cookie supplies.